Saturday, July 16, 2016


  • We took the morning ferry from Santa Teresa to

  • Bonifacio, Corsica- one hour.

We left our bags at our hotel (too early to check in) and

headed to Haute Ville (high city-also considered the Old

Town). The first stop was a tour of the bastion, a fortress with

a lot of history. It withheld attacks and sieges over the

centuries, surrendering one time, due to a little trickery and a

lot of starvation- very nice town, lots of English and nice


We then walked through the Old Town stopping in at St.

Mary Majories where another bit of the true cross hangs out

– a gift from Helen, mother of Constantine.

We then walked down the steps of the King of Aragon, which

was supposed to take us to a spring which didn’t exist.

We walked around some more, to the cemetary and then

back checking out the restaurants and the stores.

Back to the room where we snacked on leftovers.

For dinner we went to Il Poste. I had a pretty good pizza and

Teresa had a Nicoise salad “her best salad of the trip”. No

dessert tonight. We did walk down by the port.

The next morning was pick up the car at the airport day-

which is impossible from Bonifacio. There is no bus or other

service to the airport other than taxis. There is a taxi stand

but no taxis, there is a list of 6 phone numbers which did us

no good as without wifi we had no working phone. We were

perplexed. We then met Jean, a sailboat operator from

Monaco who fortunately also needed to get to the airport for

a flight. He called all 6 numbers. The 6th one could make it,

but in an hour. We strolled to kill time; Jean went to get a

beer. We raced Titania out of the port.

Teresa became quite enthralled with Jean and told me if she

was 30 years younger I would be finishing the vacation

without her.

We finally got to the airport, got our car and drove back to the

hotel. We picked up some sandwiches and drove to a

secluded beach, then eventually walked 15 more minutes to

a more secluded one.

We drove back to the room at 5:15.

We walked to Haute Ville for dinner. I had pork tenderloin,

mashed potatoes and salad. Teresa had another Nicoise

salad. I got gelato. We then started our hike up the cliff which

lasted about 40 minutes. We walked down to the port area,

checking out the yachts. Teresa got upset because I was

talking to the crew of the Volpini.

In the morning we headed out; first to Filitosa to view the

remains of the neolithic civilization from 8,000 years ago.

They left some statues, some homes and presumably a

worship area.

On to Ojaccio, the birthplace of Napoleon. We checked in

then walked through the Old Town. We went to the Fesch

Museum which had artwork, but most of the Renaissance 

stuff was unavailable.

We then walked to some churches (including the Cathedral

where Napoleon was baptized) and some piazzas. Back to

our room to get beach stuff then we walked down to the


Came back- cleaned up, found Napoleon’s house then finally

settled on a restaurant- good choice. I had steak roquefort

and french fries- Teresa had veal cooked in olives with

carrots and palenta. I had gelato on the way back.

In the morning we walked to the open air market (not at

Place Foch); got breakfast and stuff for lunch. 

We checked out- headed north along a very scenic drive

along the coast. When we got near Porto it became scenic

on steroids as we drove (and stopped) through the red rocks.

Before going to our hotel we decided to drive the inland

gorge, again scenic, but Teresa’s highlight was the livestock

on the road- cattle, pigs, and goats. We came across Lisa

Fortner on the way and she and Teresa fed the goats by


Down to Porto where we checked in. We decided on the 2 ½

hour tour boat excursion to the Scandola National Park which

is only reachable by boat.

We stopped at Girolta, another sealocked place.

Back to the room to clean up.

We walked around the small town and checked out 3

recommended restaurants. We chose Le Tour Genoise and it

was great. Teresa had lamb, shish kebabed vegetables and

potatoes with cheese- all delicious. I was going to have the

fishburger when I saw another patron get what I thought that

was. He came over to me and pointed out that his was the Le

Chef Burger, which was a bacon cheeseburger which

employed bleu cheese for its cheese, french fries and salad-


In the morning we took a walk to the local beach then again

another scenic drive to Calvi.

We checked in at noon and walked to the beach- after a

while we took a stroll to get a sandwich and gelato.

Sola Mare was our hotel, a good location, everything worked,

and our receptionist, Angie Harmon was very helpful, lending

us the use of the refrigerator and freezer for our lemonade

and to make ice in a bottle.

After cleaning up we toured the Citadel, then walked along

the wharf before going to the restaurant recommended by

Angie. We ordered the dishes she liked- veal with potatoes

roasted with cheese and spaghetti with seafood sauce and

spider crabs. The spider crabs were too much work for too

little meat.

In the morning we drove first to Pigna, known for being a

quaint beautiful town and for its ceramics. We bought some.

More mountain driving before getting to Saint Florent, a

resort town with some history. The Tour de Mortella was a

Genoese Tower- reused by the French to guard the gulf. It

inflicted heavy casualties on English warships, including

Horatio Nelson’s. Finally the English took some cannon to

land to bombard the tower into submission. Its design was

copied however and used for decades.

We walked around the town, split a sandwich then to the

room to get our beach gear. We took a boat to Lotu Beach

about a 25 minute trip- my favorite beach of the trip. We went

swimming, played paddle ball, walked, read, and enjoyed the

scenery- me more than Teresa.

We took the 5:30 boat back. We ate at The Little Corporal.

We shared a Nicoise salad, overpriced for it size, and we

shared a good pizza. We discussed politics with a British

couple at the next table. I had a single scoop gelato as we

had 2 Magnums back in our freezer.

In the morning more mountain driving as we headed east to

Bastia. We got there very early but were allowed to check in.

We had to drive into town as our hotel was chosen based on

proximity to the airport.

We first toured the Citadel and the buildings inside it,

including the cathedral. We then walked into Old Town and

strolled along the shopping streets (I bought a T-shirt).

We ate lunch at a restaurant in Place St. Nicholas.

We decided Bastia didn’t have that much to offer so we

headed back to our hotel which is also a spa. We swam in

the indoor poll and read on lounge chairs.

We ate at our hotel for dinner. Teresa had the entree buffet

while I had the Chef Cheeseburger.

In the morning we turned in our car at the airport and flew to


No comments:

Post a Comment